Monday, July 21, 2008

Spent all of 5 minutes in the yard!


Tony and I went to breakfast yesterday morning, and when I got home our next door neighbor the one with the cats) called and said, "You should go out and see your garden!" Well, there were dragonflies EVERYWHERE. I'm talking about dozens and dozens. The neighbor said that they had actually thinned out a bit. I took the camera out, but couldn't really get any pictures because they were flying continuously - never resting. It was pretty cool.

So, as I had the camera in my hand, I snapped a few shots. Surprisingly, most of them weren't great, I think maybe because of the light wind that was blowing (or because all I could think about was how hot is was, even though it was only 9am or so). The picture above is one of the few that came out. We have a lot - a LOT - of miniature roses in pots on the back porch. This is a shot of some of them.

And, on a happy note, Tony talked to the other-side neighbors - they're duck shopping! We've been so worried about the one lone little guy...every time we walk out in our back yard, he starts quacking like crazy. And, yes, of COURSE we quack back! I've thought about getting a duck quacker-thing - like they use for hunting to call ducks - but I'm not sure that it wouldn't upset him. Anybody know?

3 comments:

  1. Wish I could have seen the dragonflies. It's like that sometimes at the lake. Pretty cool.
    As far as getting a duck quacker, maybe that's not such a great idea. He may think it's a mate quacking back at him and he'll get all excited for nothing. You really don't want a horny duck next door, do you?
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Cat! Yes, I IMMEDIATELY thought about you with all those dragonflies! Their wings looked like glitter on air. I have kind of the same thought about the quacker - he already seems SO lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had a dragonfly explosion out here a few weeks ago. It was unbelievable. All Ariel could say was "Cathey should be here!"

    And Cat's right about the duck call -- it might be a mating call! And then you would have all kinds of things going on with ducks and dogs!
    T

    ReplyDelete