Tuesday, July 1, 2008

And then there was one...


Went home to sad news yesterday. Tony called as I was heading home - he'd been out in the back yard, and noticed that there were no ducks in the neighbor's duck pen. He found one - okay - but the other was in the back of our yard, injured. He called our vet, and the vet said there was really nothing to do but try to get the little guy (girl?) to calm down, then make sure there was plenty of food and water. The neighbors, of course, weren't home.

Anyway, long story short, when we went back over the duck was dead. It was the first time I'd seem them really close up, and I was truly astonished at how beautiful they are. The owner came home shortly, and was very upset. Somehow the pen's gate got opened...I found out later in the evening from the neighbor on the other side of us that they had been out all day, so there's no telling how it got injured. I hope they don't leave the one poor little thing by itself in that pen....Here's a picture I found on mariegale.com - apparently they're mallards...I don't know much about ducks, I guess.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like it's dangerous to be a feathered friend in your neighborhood. I'll tell you what happened to my sister's ducks sometime.
    Cat

    ReplyDelete