Monday, June 30, 2008

One decapitated bird


Our neighbor - whom I DEARLY love - has cats. Those of you who know me well know I'm an animal - not just dog - lover. With that being said, cats, like dogs, should be inside animals. For many reasons.

So, when I got home Friday, the first thing I did was let the girls out, then went to change clothes. As I'm passing back through the living room, I look out the window and see Loretta trying to eat something, right under the bird feeder. I rush out....and find a decapitated bird. A really beautiful bird. Some kind of sparrow, I think, but pretty none-the-less. I seriously doubt that Loretta pulled the head off and ate it, but of course that was my first thought. I can tell myself over and over that the cats are just doing what comes naturally, that it's just part of that food chain thing, but I really - REALLY - hate it when they predate on birds at the feeder. It just seems like the birds should be able to eat in peace, you know?

1 comment:

  1. Stop being such a bother. All animals have instinctual tendencies to fend for themselves. To find food for themselves. Mayhap, you should take the BIRD FEEDER DOWN. Or put it somewhere, like HIGH, where the furry critters may not reach.....

    Look at it this way:
    If you were a housecat, let out frequently, your going to have a blast adventuring and capturing things. Then instict comes, and you stalk, capture, play, then kill. It's gonna happen lady...Especially if your hungry and your prey sits right in front of you, oblivious. I bet the cats are thanking you for that bird feeder.

    ReplyDelete