Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Who really matters?

So, you know if you read my other blog that there was a rant about the economy. Actually, in re-reading it, it's much less political than I thought it would be when I started out. It was really just a mini-rant.

Not surprisingly, what prompted that economy rant was what psychologists call a "precipitating event:" Tony comes home yesterday and tells me that the distributors - as in food distributors - were talking about the impending food shortage. (Tony owns a bread route, he hangs with these guys every day.) Yes, you read that right - not the impending increased cost of food, but honest-to-god food shortages. While the immediate problem seems to be with grain - wheat, corn, etc. - I ask you, boys and girls: What do cows eat? And in another stellar economic move, some numnuts thought, "gee, wouldn't it be fun to tie the cost of corn to the cost of oil? Because, after all, biofuels are a growing industry and really (really) corn should be priced on the same scale as oil!" (This little tidbit came from one of my way-too-bright tutors.) So, vegetarian, carnivore, or omnivore, it would appear we're all screwed.

Yes, there's a point.

What's the first thing Tony and I worried about? Loretta's special diet. She has to eat k/d (Hill's Prescription Diet), which is low protein, low phosphorus food for dogs with renal disease. And, because Loretta eats k/d, they all eat k/d. And it's made primarily with - you guessed it - grain. So, no talking about going to Sam's or to Costco to stock up on food for us. Instead it was "how soon can we get by the vet to stock up on dog food?" Then Tony comes home with a HUGE food grade barrel so we'll have something in which to store the dog food stockpile.

Wonder what k/d tastes like? I may soon find out....

But look at this face - worth it or what?!

2 comments:

  1. That's really frightening. We have to feed our old dog 'script food too (recently diagnosed with diabetes}. How can we here in America, the land of the plenty, be facing food shortages? That's just unfathomable.
    Cat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, Cat. I agree. I heard yesterday that Sam's has been limiting the amount of rice that you can buy. Not that I'd buy THAT much, but we are just totally used to walking into a store and buying as much of anything as we want. Kinda freaks me out a bit.

    ReplyDelete