Thursday, February 21, 2008

Back to the life with dogs

So, I'll step back from my blow-by-blow about the girls' entries into our lives, and talk about their "theirness" for a bit.

We have a really large back yard - it's around a quarter acre, maybe a bit more, but pretty big. The entire back yard is fenced in. And, we're fortunate to live in a neighborhood of big back yards, so we have fairly abundant wildlife considering we're technically in the city. Lots (!) of squirrels, flocks of birds, and, unfortunately, the neighbor's cats. (Don't get me wrong - I like cats. But they shit, dogs eat shit, dogs get worms. Pam is out $50 per dog to remove worms. And that's not even mentioning the yuk factor.) Anyway, there is a love seat that sits more-or-less beneath the window to the back yard. Yes, the placement is entirely my fault - it's their love seat, see? I have often wondered what they do during the day when we're both gone - perhaps a nanny cam is in order? When I'm home, it's a constant "Oh my god mom there's something in the back yard and it's come to kill us all! Must go out now! World peace and harmony, and possibly your life and ours depends on us going out now!" So, I get up to let them out. Emily, the border collie, whose job it is to control her sisters, bottles up everybody at the door. Much barking and snapping ensues. I've tried yelling, but all it gets me is a sore throat. By the time one of the others manages to break the bottleneck, and they actually GET OUTSIDE, they've either forgotten what was so important, or the object of interest is now in the next county.

I wouldn't miss this rowdiness for the world....

No comments:

Post a Comment